Friday, January 1, 2010

Out With The Old ...

So, it is 2010. Looking back, 2009 was a great year for me, and running was a big part of it. It was last April that a friend of mine that runs marathons convinced me to give it a go. I haven't looked back, and my trusty Garmin 305 shows that I logged 980 miles in 2009, almost all of it from April on.

So, moving forward in 2010, I am going to shoot for 1500 miles, the 30k "Around the Bay", and probably two additional marathons.

I am looking closely at the Outer Banks marathon next November - it looks amazing, and it can be tied in with a trip to Myrtle Beach where our family has a vacation condo.

I am also very interested in some sort of trail run, and my other marathon of 2010 very well may be something of this sort. However, I have lots of research to do to figure out what event could fit the bill.

The only other thing I intend to do this year is compete in races more. It is easy to fit in some 10k events here and there while training, and I hope that this can help me out in marathons. My first marathon could have gone a little smoother if I was used to the process - I found that my heart rate was through the roof even before starting, and this eventually led me to hit the wall around mile 22. I think that running more organized races will allow me to be more focused and controlled at the start which will allow me to keep a lower average heart rate.

So that is what I am looked forward to in 2010. I also hope to get my marathon times down to the 4:00 - 4:20 range which I think is a realistic goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment