Thursday, December 31, 2009

Running in the COLD!

My training is following an outline on the Around the Bay website as this road race is a strange distance. 30k training programs are hard to find, so I thought I would give this one a shot.

http://www.aroundthebayroadrace.com/training.htm

Moving into the second week I had a 6k, then hills, and today, an easy 3k. These distances are so low that I have been adding about 10-20% per workout as I want to stay in some sort of marathon shape for the spring.

All 3 of these runs went well, but for some strange reason my right knee is bugging me a little bit. Not really when I am running, but more so when I am just sitting around. This happened a little during my marathon training in the summer, but I am not really too concerned about it.

I ran my 6k on the 29th and it was brutally cold. It was -10C with a wind chill of -20C. 33 minutes for this run with an average heart rate of 154 bpm. As you will come to see, I need to work a little on keeping my heart rate down, and perhaps losing a bit more weight will help out. I am down to the low 190s which is a lot less than I have been lugging around the past few years.

My wife and I headed down to Niagara Falls for a couple of days on the afternoon of the 29th so my next run was right next to the Falls. I needed to do hills, so I found a brutal quarter mile stretch going from next to the falls up to the Fallsview section where all the new hotels are. Did some hill repeats (3), then jogged around a little bit enjoying the scenery. Finally, found a nice 80 yard ramp at a good incline and did another 10 or so sprints up that. Still brutally cold so I was only out for about 30 minutes.

Today we got home from the Falls and I headed out for what was to be a 3k easy run. I cannot bring myself to only run 3k, so I did a 5k in a constant drizzle. It has warmed up though and it was an alright session. I did the 5k (3.1 miles) in 27 minutes flat and felt not too bad considering I had beer and wine the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment